As one of the oldest engineering disciplines, Civil Engineering deals with the constructed environment. This includes planning, designing, and overseeing construction and maintenance of building structures and facilities. For civil engineers, Building Information Modelling (BIM) has become one of the most exciting developments in the building & construction industry in recent years. It is a shared knowledge resource for information about a facility forming a reliable basis for decisions during its life-cycle; defined as existing from earliest conception to demolition.
Here are 4 software that all civil engineers, or individuals who would like to pursue a career in civil engineering, should know how to use:
From concept to visualization, Revit for Architectural Design software offers features for every phase of a project. Using its powerful BIM tools creative concepts and precise design intent can be captured and communicated with ease.
- Design and Documentation
- Place intelligent elements like walls, doors, and windows. Revit generates floor plans, elevations, sections, schedules, 3D views, and renderings instantaneously.
- Optimize building performance early in the design process, run cost estimates, and monitor performance changes over the project’s and building’s lifetime.
- Generate photorealistic renderings. Create documentation with cut-aways and 3D views, and stereo panoramas to extend your design to virtual reality.
- Multidiscipline Coordination
- Since Revit is a multidiscipline BIM platform, you can share model data with engineers and contractors within Revit, reducing coordination tasks.
From design conceptualisation to fabrication, projects can be streamlined with Revit for Structural Engineering software. Engineers can work more efficiently, improve installation accuracy, and enhance constructability by connecting your structural design to the detailed model, to deliver more consistent and coordinated projects.
- Concrete Reinforcement
- Model 3D concrete reinforcement in an advanced BIM environment. Create detailed reinforcement designs and shop drawing documentation with rebar bending schedules.
- Design-to-steel Workflows
- Connect steel design and detailing workflows. Define design intent for a higher level of detail for steel connections in the Revit model.
- Design Documentation
- Create more accurate, detailed documentation of steel and concrete designs. Model elements are direct presentations of information from the building database.
- Structural Analysis
- Conduct structural analysis and export to analysis and design applications with the analytical model while you create the physical model in Revit.
Revit for MEP software helps engineers, designers, and contractors across the MEP (mechanical, electrical, and plumbing) disciplines model to a high level of detail and easily coordinate with building project contributors. Engineers can design complex building systems with confidence using this software.
- Integrated Design
- Streamline the engineering design process with Revit. Use a single model to enhance the communication of design intent, before construction begins.
- Detailed Analysis
- Conduct simulations and interference detection earlier in the design process. Use conceptual energy analysis data for engineering-driven calculations.
- Design, model, and document building systems in the context of a full building information model, including architectural and structural components.
- Model for MEP fabrication with tools that automate the fabrication model layout. Prepare a model for detailed coordination of fabrication and installation.
Navisworks is primarily used in the Construction Industries to complement 3D modelling software such as Autodesk Revit, AutoCAD and MicroStation to produce accurate models for forecast of potential coordination issues. This project review software helps users holistically review integrated models and data with stakeholders to gain better control over project outcomes. Integration, analysis, and communication tools help teams coordinate disciplines, resolve conflicts, and plan projects before construction or renovation begins.
- BIM 360 Glue Integration
- Deeper integration with BIM 360 Glue provides cloud connectivity. Share data and workflows with BIM 360 projects.
- Detect Clashes and Check Interference
- Better anticipate and help reduce potential clash and interference problems before construction, minimizing expensive delays and rework.
- Model File and Data Aggregation
- Combine design and construction data into a single model using model publishing, data, and model aggregation tools.
- Simulate Animation and Models
- Animate and interact with objects for better model simulation.
Interested in Learning Civil Engineering Software?
Here at St. Hua Private Academy, we offer a wide variety of civil engineering design courses which includes BIM with Revit MEP , BIM with Revit Architecture, BIM with Revit Structure and Navisworks Manage software. Our courses are designed as a starting point for new users.
The above courses are SkillFuture Credit Approved Courses! Find out more about claiming using your SkillFuture credits here.